It takes days to put together one’s thoughts and some 15 minutes of solitude over a cup of coffee to clear the web of entangled words and sit down to really really write.Just one moment of inspiration is all it takes . All those who think we live on food , water or fresh air haven’t really given ‘hope’ and ‘good faith’ it’s due as yet.
When I got around writing this post , my thoughts took me back to a classroom excercise we did in a management workshop on creativity or solution finding or some such thing.
The trainer gave us an assignment and asked us to jot down 5 things on so and so. We scribbled away to glory and in no time had our lists ready. That done , he told us to scratch those and write 5 more. Which got us really thinking.
For this post , I wanted to do a Top of the mind recall version and the next 5 things version. So the 5 things I can’t do without in no particular order , basis Top of the mind recall are …
- Money – For me that means financial independence. It doesn’t mean a fully loaded wallet to buy branded clothes or precious jewels. It just means – I can never ever ask someone else to foot my bills. So yes , I need money because It does buy happiness or at least the illusion of it till you finally understand what happiness truly means.
- My Son – A new life that I shall see taking shape in front of my eyes . I am not going to gush about the joys of motherhood here but I do want to make a point about this choice. I read somewhere how the problem with Indian culture is that we may raise our daughters as sons , we never raise our sons like we would raise a daughter. In him I might just redeem a bit of that anomaly.
- Being busy – I don’t see myself retiring for a long time. Maybe never. I do see myself doing something interesting , fun , creative – anything at all . If it;s not a job and i do choose to be a stay at home mom someday , I perhaps would enroll myself into a gazillion activities. But never ever being just a mom. And i say that with zero disrespect to all those fabulous women who choose this path. I am not built that way.
- Something new to wear [ at least every week] – I have a photographic memory and that works for me most of the time only that every day I spend 10 minutes of my very precious time thinking about what to wear . I am going to blame the vivid recollection of what I have worn as far as at least one month back , for this inconvenience . Not a good scenario , so buying new clothes helps. And that’s the story I am sticking to.
- Appreciation – I might seem easy to please , but underneath that mask is some one whose mighty eager to please. Agreed am working for financial independence. But that’s not what drives me to work super hard. Every meeting, every presentation , every VC or even mail has to be world-class – now that’s called setting unrealistic standards for self isn’t it?
So that’s the top 5 things on my very basic list that I can’t do without.
I am clearly not the best person to ask – What would you take to an Island if stranded alone , am I?
Moving on . The Next level ? Here’s that list.
- Conversations over Coffee – If you need an explanation for this , you’ve lost the plot.
2. Something new to do : In not a ‘I hate routines’ kind of way . But if you are doing the same thing day in day out – how do you know what else is out there to discover like an unopened present perhaps?
3. My laptop and internet: The diary is now replaced with my laptop. And I can’t imagine a day without it now. I also feel deep down , one of the exit barriers for my current job is free internet. And that’s a big one right ?
4. Solitude : I read somewhere one can never be a great company to others , if one doesn’t enjoy one’s own company the most. Well I do. and I think it’s the rarest of rare blessings to actually find some time alone with just yourself. Every second of that is so precious , I can actually write a post on only solitude the second I get a little bit of it !
5. Beautiful things : A thing of beauty is a joy forever. And when its beautiful places, pictures , words or thoughts – isnt the happiness multiplied manifolds. I do think I can’t do without the happiness of discovering little nuggets of joy . I find them mostly in quotes. Or pictures like this one. Try it . Really helps.
There are many many more things that I can’t do without , like interesting intellgent people or inspiration or sunshine [ that’s why I dont like winters] .. But let’s hear what you have to say about these to start with.
Do you think my basic or next level list resonates with you? Leave me a note – can’t live without those too 😉
This prompt was written under the blog chatter weekly prompt #Can’t Do Without.